Tuesday, 27 January 2015

Credit where it's due... A nice thing in yellow.... Rescheduling....

Yesterday's small outbreak of Not Quite So Good Behaviour dragged over a little into today. I was late getting up and started. Again, I feel the positive effects of my work though. I exercised this evening after a decent amount of work and I've just meditated. 

I also managed a dentist's appointment today. No-one likes the dentist very much and when you have anxiety problems... 

As I was leaving the house I looked for a book to take with me. Reading helps keep me calm. The cheerful, bright yellow of Happier by Tal Ben-Shahar caught my eye. 

I'm glad it did. I didn't have long to wait as it happens, but it taught me something important straight away. Two things actually. I really like bright yellow. The second thing is that I'm doing OK. 

The exercise at the end of the first chapter is all about creating new rituals. This is what I'm trying to do. Our pal Tal has done his research though, so I'm happy to take his advice. He advises attempting no more than one or two new habits at a time. He also reckons (or the research he quotes does) that a new ritual can probably be embedded as a habit within about 30 days. 

This is great news for me. I've taken on, what is it, at least three new behaviours since the New Year. I meditate every day, I exercise every day, I have massively improved my work routine and online behaviour. 

So that's enough for now. That's not me looking for excuses to take things easy. That's me accepting good advice. I want to change so many things that I am in danger of shooting off ineffectually in all directions. 

It's made me think. The fact that my doctor-referred exercise class has finished more quickly than I expected (though I may be able to snag a two-week extension because of the Christmas break) rather threw me. I'm now under pressure to sign up for a gym card; with a special offer that finishes in around two weeks also looming. 

I'm less concerned about that. I was convincing myself that I needed to spend this week and next getting into a new routine of going to the gym three times a week in order to prove I can manage the number of sessions I need to hit to make the card worthwhile financially. I'm less of that opinion now. 

So in terms of taking on new behaviours, and as I say there are several thousand I can think of, I'm relaxing for the moment. 

If you spent it thank you for your time. Please leave a comment after the tone.