Wednesday, 21 January 2015

Day three in the big glugger (former) house, and Don's up to something...

What is Don up to? Hopefully not referring to himself in the third person. That would be unforgiveable. 

That's that over with. 

Yes. Things go well in this little experiment with living a Decent and Productive life. I've had my third day of rising early and putting in a decent day's work. I've not used social media or my other time-wasting sites (primarily the Guardian's comment page) during the day. I've meditated twice a day. I've exercised every day. I've taken a walk of at least 20 minutes every day. 

I'm really pleased with that. 

If you were here for the start of this (who am I kidding), you'll notice a couple of things are missing. I was going to give up smoking. I did. But only for about 16 hours. I was also going to challenge myself by doing something in the evening. The plan was to either go to the gym or a tai chi class tomorrow.

I'm not hugely confident that I'll manage to do either of those things. It may have been a step too far. We shall see though. The tai chi class is tomorrow and I still have a day after that to attempt something nocturnal - anything after 5pm will count. 

I don't mind though. I'm pleased with the progress I've made and my main focus now is on making this routine an actual routine for the long run. 

I've noticed huge benefits. When I do get down, I get less down. I'm less anxious. I'm busier. The quantity of my work is bigger, the quality is better. I'm a better domestic person, cook and house partner. I'm reading a novel (a big improvement in concentration). 

Tomorrow is my office day. That's usually a good thing. The one thing that can make me a bit jittery about it is having to do phone interviews. I have two tomorrow. And I just can't get anxious about it. I'm expecting to, I think I'm even trying to by running through my usual anxious thought processes - the recording won't work, my pen will break, I'll need to go to the toilet after five minutes, snipers will attack the building.... They're just not making me anxious though. 

I'm confident. 

This has come quite quickly. What's been the main cause? I don't know to be honest. I think meditating and doing some yoga breathing (I posted it in Recovery Resources) may have contributed. 

After years of bad routines I may have a good one. I hope so, I really do. 

If you spent it thank you for your time. If you'd like to talk leave a comment or drop me an email. I'm all over social media too.